Legal Disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer: Cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. The responsibility for each riders safety, fitness and the soundness of his or her bicycle lies solely with each rider. No effort has been made to insure the safety of the roads chosen by any member of the group, nor have the routes been screened for road or other hazards and may not be the safest route available. No effort has been made to ensure that riders in the group possess any degree of skill and/or judgment. By either continuing to read this blog or participating in a ride each rider agrees to waive and release any claims against fellow riders or the route organizers or the blog author on behalf of themselves and their heirs and assigns. This waiver and release of any claims includes claims based upon the negligence of said fellow riders, route organizers and blog author.


VIEW RIDES CALENDAR AT BOTTOM OF BLOG

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ride Summary and Results of Day 5 of the 300 Mile Challenge

Can anybody spank David "Twin Six" Murphy? Even the Young Jedis could not beat him in the final sprint tonight! They gave it all they had in a Yoda & Skywalker tag team, but to no avail. Twin Six is riding lately like a twin overhead cam V-8. The man is virtually unstoppable. Hmmm...that get's me to thinking; I had a second broken spoke earlier this week, if Twin Six were a Clydesdale, I bet those Young Jedis would figure out a way to crimp his style. David, you should probably keep on eye on your machine.

Other notables who were there until the final acceleration were John "Gianni Bugno" Duke, David "Lawman" Carrol, Tim "Grocery" Fox and the bodacious Brit Keith "Big Motor" Irwin. Seems as though everyone is peaking just at the right time for the big race coming up next month; The Pensacola Cycling Classic!

Great ride tonight. Big group expressing some friskiness and the Sultans of Speed definitely showed up. Everybody don't forget to wish Trish "The Kat" Kuhnell a very Happy Birthday! I won't tell you how old she is as that wouldn't be polite, however it's somewhere between 39 years old and 41 years old. Just in case I forgot to mention it, "Happy Birthday Trish!"

If you missed all the peloton antics tonight, don't fret yourself as we have tomorrow evening's ride and two more rides this weekend as well as the group favorite Full Moon Ride next week. For all the details check out the Ride Calendar at the bottom of this blogulation.


Now, results for Day 5 of the 300 Mile Challenge:

1. Miles: AM: 39 miles PM: 26 miles Total today: 65 miles Total to date: 288 miles To go: 12 miles
2. Resting Heart Rate: 56 bpm
3. Weight: lost today 2lbs Total lost 7lbs
4. Mental/Emotional Outlook: Very encouraged and upbeat.
5. Physical Wear and Tear: Feeling much better. I think my body is adapting to the increased workload. Feet are better, knees are just a bit stiff after riding, although while in the saddle they feel good, no other issues other than my saddle has a sore, if you get my drift?!

Comments: Another big thank you to Tim "Grocery" Fox for dragging my huge carcass around the roads this morning. I had no intention of doing that many miles today...but my Clydesdale brother, like the Energizer Bunny, he just kept going and going and...

It is a relief to know all that's left to complete 300 miles in 6 days is 12 miles tomorrow morning. I really would not want to try and accomplish this every week, I think for my schedule it is too much. I can do 150 to 200 miles each week without putting undue strain on the loved ones and other things that are important to me. However, it sure is fun trying little adventures like this. Next one? I think the Pensacola to Tallahassee Ride this Fall looks pretty good. The dates are October 7 to 10. Stay tuned for details.

Well, after tomorrow's 12 miles, I'm taking the rest of the week off to rest and spend some quality time with the lovely Mrs Graves. I pick her up at the airport tomorrow evening...can't wait to see her! I'll do a final summary of the 300 mile challenge and lessons learned in the next day or two.

And then, I'll see you guys again for the Saturday morning ride and...

...out on the road,
Bob

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Bob on achieving your 300 mile goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David. Tim Fox and myself went out early this morning and did 20 miles putting me at 308 miles for the 6 day challenge. It feels good not having to ride tonight...although I'm already looking forward to Saturday morning's group ride! Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob after 300 miles, you would not have wanted to be in our Hammerfest last night! Congrats! See you in the a.m.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Bob, from us MAMILs.

    I thought everyone might enjoy this story:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10965608#story_continues_2

    ReplyDelete