Legal Disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer: Cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. The responsibility for each riders safety, fitness and the soundness of his or her bicycle lies solely with each rider. No effort has been made to insure the safety of the roads chosen by any member of the group, nor have the routes been screened for road or other hazards and may not be the safest route available. No effort has been made to ensure that riders in the group possess any degree of skill and/or judgment. By either continuing to read this blog or participating in a ride each rider agrees to waive and release any claims against fellow riders or the route organizers or the blog author on behalf of themselves and their heirs and assigns. This waiver and release of any claims includes claims based upon the negligence of said fellow riders, route organizers and blog author.


VIEW RIDES CALENDAR AT BOTTOM OF BLOG

Saturday, August 14, 2010

The 300 Mile Challenge: Day 1

I haven't done 300 miles in a week since the 1980s. In those days I raced a bit and it seemed easier to get in the miles because you were training for a specific goal...the next race. Now, a few years older, the 300 miles itself seems like a good goal. You see, usually I don't have the kind of time needed to rack up 300 miles in one week. But this week it looks like I will, seeing as the uh, lovely Mrs Graves is in California visiting with our mother and aunt Andree. Technically, it is her mother, but they both seem like ours.

Our aunt recently had a stroke and is having surgery on Monday to help clear some blockage. The uh, lovely Mrs Graves flew out early this morning to help the two of them in any way she can until things are a bit back to normal. If you are praying folks, please pray for Andree's successful surgery and speedy recovery. She really is one of the most delightful ladies I know. I say one of because our mom is delightful as well. They are both a joy to be around and I really hope all goes well.

Anyway, the point is, I have some extra time on my hands this week. Or at least until Thursday evening. (That's when the uh, lovely Mrs Graves flies back into town). Therefore, I thought to have a little adventure. I love adventures...I think it's one of the best parts of cycling. Besides it beats watching TV and eating chips.

So, here's the deal; I have today through Thursday evening, well maybe Friday morning to complete 300 miles on the machine. Let's see...a little fifth grade math... I need to complete 300 miles in 6 days. That's uh...50 miles a day. Hmmm...that sounds like a lot considering my schedule...I mean, I do have to work and all. Maybe I should employ the infamous Double Secret Workout Training Regimen. If I do, then I have 12 sessions on the bike. Uh, 12 into 300 is...ummm, carry the 2 and that makes 25 miles per session. Okay, I think maybe I can do that. I always have one more session on Friday morning if I need it! Hope we have good weather.

Okay, The 300 Mile Challenge

Goal: Starting today, complete 300 miles before the end of the day on Friday.
I'm either going to love this or I'm going to throw the Lynskey machine in the dumpster.

Now, let's have a few daily measurements:
1. Miles...of course!
2. Resting heart rate. Each morning.
3. Weight. Before the morning ride.
4. Mental/emotional outlook.
5. Physical wear and tear.

So, for today, here are the results thus far:

1. Miles: Morning- 47 Evening- 24 Total Day 1: 71 miles To go: 229
2. Resting heart rate this morning: 52 bpm
3. Weight: Uh...let's just say well within the minimum qualifications for a Clydesdale. Let's change this to weight lost!
4. Mental/emotional outlook: Upbeat, encouraged. A bit apprehensive.
5. Physical wear and tear: Feeling pretty good. No problems yet.


Anybody care to ride along? (even for a day) I could use a wheel to suck, especially along about Wednesday and Thursday. You know, this really could be an interesting experiment. Observe what changes may occur as the miles rack up on this 50 something year old body?! Could have some excellent lessons for future training. I've been averaging just over 170 miles a week for the last 6 weeks, with the exception of last week...137 miles. So, I have a good base. Well, let's see what happens. I'll report in each day and let you know where I stand. Until then...

...see you out on the road, more often,
Bob

2 comments:

  1. Great job on today's mileage!! You can do it if you don't get struck by lightning.

    Weather permitting you can add a Sunday night crit to the fun. Ellyson Industrial Park 5:00 pm for the "slow" guys 30 minutes. Next up will be the fast guys laying it down. If nothing else it should be fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen Hyde might even have some premiums for both groups. Ride Forest Ride

    ReplyDelete