Legal Disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer: Cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. The responsibility for each riders safety, fitness and the soundness of his or her bicycle lies solely with each rider. No effort has been made to insure the safety of the roads chosen by any member of the group, nor have the routes been screened for road or other hazards and may not be the safest route available. No effort has been made to ensure that riders in the group possess any degree of skill and/or judgment. By either continuing to read this blog or participating in a ride each rider agrees to waive and release any claims against fellow riders or the route organizers or the blog author on behalf of themselves and their heirs and assigns. This waiver and release of any claims includes claims based upon the negligence of said fellow riders, route organizers and blog author.


VIEW RIDES CALENDAR AT BOTTOM OF BLOG

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The 300 Mile Challenge Day 4

I'm sure for most of you, if not all, 300 miles in 6 days is no big deal. However, for this 50 something AARP card carrying ancient Clydesdale, it's been pretty tough juggling work, family, and riding. I do like a challenge though. Today was the hardest day yet. Good news though. Late last evening I received a call from the lovely Mrs Graves in California. Aunt Andree's surgery went very well and was successful. A heartfelt thank you to all that prayed for her!

So, here are the results for Day 4 of the 300 Mile Challenge:

1. Miles: AM:31 miles PM:33 miles Total today:64 miles Total miles to date:223 miles To go: 77 miles
2. Resting Heart Rate: 58bpm
3. Weight: even for today Total lost: 5lbs
4. Mental/Emotional Outlook: A bit weary. Although riding with the group tonight was great. Encouraged that I'm below 100 miles to go.
5. Physical Wear and Tear: A number of small ailments. Feet ache, knees are a bit stiff, feel like I may be on the edge of a head cold.

Comments: I have a new respect for those who do cross country rides. I have a friend that went on one a few years back. They averaged 80 miles a day with one day in seven for rest. His longest day was 104 miles. I guess there would be some advantage to new scenery everyday, but 40 some days at an average of 80 miles a day...that's pretty stout.

I know I am over training because I have these little things cropping up. However, I figure just a couple more days then I can rest for a day before Saturday's group ride. Symptoms of over training I am experiencing include; elevated resting heart rate, some weariness and the ailments mentioned above. I'm trying to get more rest. But, I'm not sleeping well. I think that's a symptom of over training as well, however it might be because the lovely Mrs Graves isn't there next to me. I don't know about you, but I always sleep better with her. (Uh, that didn't exactly sound right. I meant that she...ummm, well, you get the idea.)

Also, I notice elevating my feet on something about chest high as often as possible really helps the general springiness of the pistons. I found a wonderful remedy for sore feet; get a golf ball and put it on the floor and roll your foot around on top of it...works wonders! You can get to just the right spots and work on them. Ooo yeah baby...

If the knees get any worse, I'll ice them down after every ride. But, I think the toughest is behind me. All I need is 77 miles over the next two days to reach the goal. That's about half what I've been doing the previous two days. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Got rained on this morning 3 separate times. That's got to be a record.

I was thinking, maybe I should treat myself to a new jersey or something if I make it...hmmm. Not a bad suggestion. Any ideas?

See you out on the road,
Bob

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you will meet your goal. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Prentiss. If the weather is good, I'm hoping to hit mile 300 on Thursday evening's group ride. Come on out and help me celebrate!

    ReplyDelete