Legal Disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer: Cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. The responsibility for each riders safety, fitness and the soundness of his or her bicycle lies solely with each rider. No effort has been made to insure the safety of the roads chosen by any member of the group, nor have the routes been screened for road or other hazards and may not be the safest route available. No effort has been made to ensure that riders in the group possess any degree of skill and/or judgment. By either continuing to read this blog or participating in a ride each rider agrees to waive and release any claims against fellow riders or the route organizers or the blog author on behalf of themselves and their heirs and assigns. This waiver and release of any claims includes claims based upon the negligence of said fellow riders, route organizers and blog author.


VIEW RIDES CALENDAR AT BOTTOM OF BLOG

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

That Was A Great Weekend Of Riding!

What a fantastic weekend of riding that was! Saturday we headed out in the fog for the awesome Around The Bay Loop. For the first time ever, we had two routes; the standard or long route and the new short route. Both routes were fabulous according to the groups that rode them. Personally, riding the new short route was a blast. I really enjoyed the new roads and the riders that went on that route were evenly matched in terms of fitness so we chugged along at a steady pace. We will definitely do that one again!

The infamous Gargoyle Point Bridge was kind to us as well. In fact, I have never had such an easy crossing since we have been riding the beast for the last 8 years! Perfect weather for a perfect January ride! We had hoped (planned) to regroup in Gulf Breeze at the second rest stop with the long route group. But after waiting about 10 minutes or so, Big Motor would have no more of it stating in his British dialect, "Cheery O" and was off. (I think I know where they got the name for that cereal.) So, we all headed for home. When I pulled into the garage I had 55 miles. Great ride!

But before I steal too much of his thunder, I'll let the Left Lane share his perspective of the rides this past weekend. Sounds like he too enjoyed these winter jaunts. So, here's the view from the Left Lane:

Great turnout for the group favorite Around the Bay Loop. Riding were most of the regulars including Danimal, Happy, Bugno, Nestor, Dos Prentii, Retro Dave, Big Motor, Left Lane, Dave 4, Doug, Bad Mayo, Vortex, and Crusher. Think that’s everyone. Robert came by at the start…after crashing last week and finishing the ride he woke up the next day and realized he had a banged up hip and pulled groin muscle. Amazing that he was able to finish last week and hopefully will be back in riding form soon. Weather was absolutely great with only a little difficulty with the fog going across the fill and a not too strong head wind for the long slog from Bagdad to the Gargoyle Point Bridge.

As usual the group started out fairly slow so everyone could get all there yakking done as we headed up Spanish Trail and Creighton, and the pace picking up as usual as we hit Johnson heading for Ellison Industrial Park with Danimal putting down the pace. We regrouped at Davis and began the hammerfest toward the fill. Having been sick all week, I was determined to avoid pushing it too hard early on to avoid later bonkage, so when a group separated going up the overpass to the fill gapping me by around 100 yards, I figured I would just join the next group as they caught up to me on the downhill side and be in the second group. Well leading that next group was the Vortex who said “come on boys” as he went by and he put it down hard and we quickly reeled in the lead group as we hammered through the fog to the end of the fill.

As we regrouped at Chet’s it was apparent that the worst of the fog was over and we continued on through Pace and past Spencer Field. At this point the still recovering Vortex, Crusher and the long absent Big Motor took the short route and were never seen again. I had toyed with short routing this day but was feeling pretty good so I continued on with the rest toward Hamilton Bridge Road. This is definitely one of the most fun legs that we ride. With the long downhill section reaching speeds in excess of 35 mph for an extended time and then the long uphill as we head to our first break of the ride. And to our surprise the road had been freshly paved in its entirety.

The mountain goats as usual gapped us Clydesdales and near Clydesdales (Bugno) on the long uphill section. But we were not that far back and I turned to Bugno and wondered that with the fresh pavement the uphill did not seem as steep and hard as usual and in fact we were still in the 15mph range as we crested the top and Hammered on gaining on the lead group until ahead we were slowed as we passed an old truck chugging back to speed as it topped the hill. We rolled into the break not long after the leaders and tanked up for the long haul to Gargoyle Point via Bagdad.

As the boys headed to Milton there was a Big Hoagie citing. We pulled into a PL briefly to see if he was joining us but then he was gone. Called Hoagie later and he was heading to the Milton bike trail for a solo ride. We rolled on through Bagdad where Bugno, Doug, and Bad Mayo took a shorter route and the rest of us hammered on.

I soon found out I should have short routed as well….around 4 or 5 miles into what was becoming a hammerfest in the 22-23mph range this old fat guys legs said “No Mas” and I cracked off the back to ride solo the last 6 or 7 miles or so to the GP bridge (This long flat stretch is always difficult for me combined with fighting a cold/sinus infection and not riding at all this week). Thanks to Retro for coming back and offering a pull but I was pretty toasted and told him I had to just ride at mine own pace.

I finally chugged into the Toll Plaza Last Place Left Lane where the two groups had reunited and waited for me. I rejoined but was only able to hold on for a mile or so and near the bridge hump Johnny Bugno fell back to me and gave me a pull the rest of the way to our Break at the Walmart Gas Station. Thanks JB.

This is where my story ends. I chose to take the shortest route home straight down 98 whereas the group headed down to the Sound to take the back roads home. Luckily, the wind was favorable and I got my legs back enough to cruise home in the 18-20mph range solo. Talked to Bugno the next day at the Sunday ride and he said the group had a great ride in the rest of the way. I ended with around 61 miles and I would think the group probably added a few miles taking the longer way home. Great Ride for this time of year.

Sunday 1-8-2011

We had a surprising turnout for the Sunday Group ride of the Manzierre Loop…5 riders!! When I got to F&S none other than the long absent CCC (Coolio) was there waiting. Prentis than rode in and informed us that the Bloginator and he who maintains the calendar (Vortex) thought the ride was at 3:00 instead of 2:30 and that he would be around 15 minutes late. Gave us a chance to chat and I called Bugno who lives nearby to convince him to come out as well.

So we motored on for our parade lap of the Manzierre Loop. Typically we ride at a fairly easy pace on Sunday with a few unannounced sprints and the Viaduct Climb thrown in. Coolio loves this ride so he can kick The Left Lane’s butt going up the Viaduct. It has been close thought the last few times. But alas, after inquiring of the Vortex if he thought Coolio could take the Left Lane this day and getting an affirmative from the Vortex who will take every chance to stir the pot (as will the LeftLane), the CCC lacking his usual bravado and confidence begged out and short rided heading for home after we went around the mall. Hope we do not have to wait so long for our next Coolio sighting...he is always good for BlogFodder!!

Anyway we carried on with The Vortex demonstrating the old GM axiom..”There is no substitue for horsepower!” in taking the first unannounced sprint. But true to form, with the CCC gone, the Left Lane led the group up the Viaduct as usual. We had a nice ride the rest of the way including a lap up a parking garage downtown and a cruise out to the Bayfront for a quick break before heading home with a nice tailwind.

A great weekend of riding. Till next time.

The Left Lane

Thanks Left Lane! I agree, it was a shame we didn't have more riders on Sunday. The weather was perfect. Perhaps there was some weariness after the long day in the saddle the day before. Or maybe...they had heard that Coolio was returning to the peloton! Yep, just his name strikes fear in any donut eating bike riding sluggo. Ah yes, cycling fans and those of you who enjoy reading this Blogazoidal, the little crusty climbing curmudgeon (Triple C) is back! And no one is more thrilled than this writer for his return. (I need the blog fodder and he is the most fodder that this blogger has ever seen foddered for a bloggerer.) I think I'm in love...

See you out on the road,
Bob

10 comments:

  1. I just read the article on group riding Bob sent the link to. Most of that was new to me. Are we going to start riding two by two? I noticed the Wheelmen usually do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the hardest part about the article was "no yelling". While I admit to getting startled with the verbal warnings; I can't see that going away. To say no verbal warnings allowed isn't sensible; sometimes verbal warnings are necessary, but most of the time hand signals will do the job just fine. Overall I thought it was an interesting article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The article was very well written and had several tips on riding in a group safely. I thought it good to send it out to everyone just as a reminder.

    In regards to riding as a double paceline, I think there are sections of each group ride where that is appropriate. Most of our routes have long sections where we could and should practice double pacelining...and we do sometimes. However, I'm not so sure you would want to do it crossing the Causeway for example. Regardless, Florida law allows for cyclists to ride two by two to the right of the roadway. I think where we get in trouble with motorists is when we ride more than two abreast or we're holding up traffic because we are slower than the flow. It is important to be aware of this and drop back to single file at these points. It doesn't matter if we're within the law or not, we will always lose the battle with a motor vehicle!

    In terms of yelling things out; I remember when I first starting riding in a group back in the early 1980s. Yelling things out was only reserved for that rare occasion where dropping a hand to your side to point sometime out was impractical or perhaps unsafe. For example, we're making a right hand turn at speed and it is discovered that there is sand in the corner. Most call out, "Sand!" because taking your hand off the bars may make you the next thing on the floor that others behind you are pointing out. Hand signals are best in almost every case...but not every case.

    My intent in sending out the article was to inform everyone of the possibilities as well as to get you thinking about your own riding. Please remember, when you ride in a group, you are responsible for the safety of each rider around you, whether you like it or not, that's group riding. Don't be the cause of another going down. (Unless of course you happen to snap off a pedal, then we'll forgive you.)

    If you get anything out of the article, I hope it was this; 1)make no sudden movements, 2)be predictable and, 3)watch out for the riders around you. If that means yelling, by all means yell! If it can be done with a hand signal do that. Whatever means, just do it. (Hey, I think I finally figured out that Nike slogan.)

    See you out on the road,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good article. I made a very stupid mistake on Saturday's ride and luckily Retro was attentive enough to prevent a crash. The article mentions NOT having your wheel directly behind the person ahead of you in the pace line but rather having a slight offset. That gives you some leeway to overlap wheels temporarily if the pace line slows unexpectedly. I will concentrate on adding those tips into my riding habits. Thanks again to Retro for being alert.

    Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that the article says to maintain the speed of the paceline when pulling through. I totally agree, but sometimes it just isn't possible.

      I admit that I'm really bad about when it is my turn to pull that I will sometimes slow the pace down until it is safe for me to pull off the front. I do this for two reasons. One, I can't maintain the pace that the person in front of me had made if I'm in the front. Second, I have a pretty good idea that the person behind me is going to pick the pace up a couple of notches as soon as I pull of the front and I need to have something in the tank to get back on the back.

      In my mind it is better to stay with the flow of the paceline even if my pulls are short or if I drop the pace a bit rather than stay in the back. But, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe if I can't take a pull at the pace the paceline is going I shouldn't ever go to the front.

      I think the real point it to always be attentive, steady, and predictable. It is hard to beat the experience of riding in a smooth paceline to cover the miles; it is quite exhilarating.

      Delete
  5. I agree Happy! I learned the hard way several years ago to always have a bit of room between my front wheel and the rear wheel of the rider in front of me. It is a very good practice to be slightly to one side or the other as well. I find that I can keep pedaling and just drift up the side of the slowing rider. However, beware of crossing wheels with the rider in front of you. There is no quicker way to hit the floor than drifting along side and he or she veers into your front wheel. (Been there, done that, got the scares to prove it!)

    Left Lane sent me an email with some very good points regarding this same issue. Perhaps he'll weigh in at some point.

    Stay upright my friends,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good article on group riding. I think the double pace line is a good thing when you are hammering and have a large group and this is common on the wheelmen rides. Of course with all of the little raised “Dots” they are laying down on the bike lane dividers its not practical to ride a double pace line in these areas. As far as vocal warnings, I agree with Prentis’ comments that we will always have these and as long as people still use the hand signals at the same time I do not see a problem.



    I think the best point was about when in the pace line, to not be exactly directly behind the wheel in front of you. Either be slightly to left or right so that you have enough time to react to a change in pace ahead of you. It is something that I do (usually to the left!!) and a lot of people do naturally but I think if this was followed the accident that occurred a couple of weeks ago would not have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, my apologies to Woodrow Boudreaux (Woody) for leaving him out of the list of riders Saturday in my blog. Even though I talked to Woody quite a bit I missed him in the line up. Probably because he did not have his better half Carol Ann with him as usual along. I plead early onset oldtimers desease!!. Anyway, Woody has been hitting the trainer hard and he had a really good ride including doing a lot of the work with the Long Short Group heading to the GP Bridge per my discussions with Johnny Bugno on our this morning before work on Left Lane's Morning Madness ride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a good article Bob, I`m still learning how to ride in a group. I know I don`t have as much experience as most of you guys but I`m really trying hard to learn how to do it the right way and the safe way. Riding so close going so fast has been quite a steep learning curve. I have learned a lot riding with you guys. Hope to be back riding soon. Later,...Robert

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robert...and those neophytes amongst us, we are more than happy to have you along! Don't worry about riding in a group. Reading that article was a good step. On the job training like...riding in a group, is also very helpful. Try to follow someone's wheel that is a Steady Eddie. You know the guy, he rides very straight, no sudden movements and others are constantly looking to follow him. Watch how he points out hazards or slowly moves around the hazards. He doesn't swerve at the last second. He also leaves enough room between his front wheel and the rear wheel of the rider in front of him so he can respond to changes gradually and smoothly. "He's so smoooooth!"

    Find the guy and observe him. It will make your group riding experience much more enjoyable. And to the rest of us, let's be that example that guys like Robert can follow. "Can I get a witness?!" You bunch of characters you!

    See you in the morning,(for practice),
    Bob

    ReplyDelete