Legal Disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer: Cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. The responsibility for each riders safety, fitness and the soundness of his or her bicycle lies solely with each rider. No effort has been made to insure the safety of the roads chosen by any member of the group, nor have the routes been screened for road or other hazards and may not be the safest route available. No effort has been made to ensure that riders in the group possess any degree of skill and/or judgment. By either continuing to read this blog or participating in a ride each rider agrees to waive and release any claims against fellow riders or the route organizers or the blog author on behalf of themselves and their heirs and assigns. This waiver and release of any claims includes claims based upon the negligence of said fellow riders, route organizers and blog author.


VIEW RIDES CALENDAR AT BOTTOM OF BLOG

Monday, August 20, 2012

So, I Decided To Go For A Ride

This past Saturday saw the Firestone and Summit peloton trying out a new route, The Klondike Bar (B-Que). Most, gave it rave reviews, although some commented it was a bit too short at 40 miles. Regardless, it was a lot of fun to be out with the cast of unusual characters again, even though a few were missing. The weather held out for us with partly cloudy skies and no rain for the full length of this moderately hilly loop.

As we started down the road, the pace was easy as the boys seemed more interested in how the Market was fairing then getting some exercise. Once we turned onto Johnson however, Fishbone appeared to have had enough of the leisurely lifestyle and exchanged it for some moderate work at the front. Several followed and we were into 20s mph land for the first time this day. We meandered westward and onto Detroit where we always see some playfulness and today was no different. First, Tattoo Brett (Rabbit), then Fishbone and Circle K each took a turn at pulling the game group into Anaerobia. A left turn, then a right and we were onto this routes namesake for some really nice riding.

Across Mobile Hwy and the pace slowed a bit so we could regroup before the Hammerfest that is the Blue Angel Parkway. I think most everyone loves this road as long as their heading southwest, (uh...downhill). After the much needed rest stop we cruised along nice roads until popping out on Hwy 98. We took this east at an absolute ballistic pace with several of the bunch feeling their oats. In fact, if it wasn't Rabbit on the nose, it was Fishbone, Prenti, Crusher or Circle K. Even the Vortex mixed it up a bit. Never dropped below 28mph! Great fun!

Back through the Country Club and over Barrancas Bridge and home. Not sure who won the King Of Bridge (KOB) Award though as I wasn't there. However, I know that Fishbone, Circle K and Crusher were all throwing down as if they were in the Tour! What a bunch of characters.

After such a great ride on Saturday, I was really disappointed when the ride yesterday was cancelled because of rain. I really wanted to get out after feeling like I may finally be getting back to a level of fitness where I can ride up front again. No go though.  Then this morning awoke to downpours and soggy roads again. I kept one eye on the weather map however as I was getting some work done. Rain, rain, rain...but I really wanted to get in some miles. Looked like maybe a break in the clouds at 11am!

So, I decided to go for a ride...

Well, that was probably my first mistake. The second, was when I didn't turn back when it started sprinkling. The third mistake was stopping in front of that office to take cover from the liquid sunshine. Did I mention it was pouring water from the heavens like the dam had broke? Did I further mention, that the lady at the office seemed perturbed when I laughed after she asked, "Are you just seeking shelter from the rain?" (I very graciously replied in the affirmative while pointing at the skies.) I could tell that I must be making her and her coworkers nervous by standing on their front porch dressed in soaking wet skin tight clothing.

"Seriously?! I'm so sure I'm here to rob you dressed like this." Can you hear the call over the Police radio? The cops would crack up. "Yeah, he'll be hard to find in that costume!" Nevertheless, I decided to depart before having to explain myself to one of Pensacola's finest.  I mean, come on...I'm so sure I'm a threat to society while wearing a bright fluorescent orange rain vest! The whole purpose of the color is that you are seen. "Uh, yeah your Honor, we found him hiding in the bushes wearing this bright orange vest..."

I'm just sayin'.

See you out on the road,
Bob


3 comments:

  1. For those of you who may be disappointed in the deletion of the "shrinkage", uh...shall we say, observation in lieu of the new sentence regarding the policeman's comment to the Judge, I have this to say in my defense:

    The, uh...lovely Mrs. Graves found it somewhat offensive that there would be a reference to the size of the matter referenced above. Therefore, it has been deleted all together. I'm sure this will have some of you smiling as you are personally very familiar with the above referenced issue on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to get in a ride after work Monday evening as well. Had planned a 30 miler out toward 9 mile but as I headed out the door a light rain started...and I thought better of it...a good common sense decision (some might say a rare occurrence for the Left Lane). With the Vortex making such poor decisions all I can say is "And you wanted to be my Latex Salesman....I don't think so"!!
    Shrinkage????.......What's Shrinkage???? The Left Lane is not familiar with this term....????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps for some, there's such a minuscule caliber that there's no recongnition of shrinkage. Upon closer inspection, the matter at hand needs no further explanation.

    What? Vandelay Industries?! "No, I think I would rather be an architect." Or perhaps a doctor...Dr. Vannostrin.

    ReplyDelete