Legal Disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer: Cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. The responsibility for each riders safety, fitness and the soundness of his or her bicycle lies solely with each rider. No effort has been made to insure the safety of the roads chosen by any member of the group, nor have the routes been screened for road or other hazards and may not be the safest route available. No effort has been made to ensure that riders in the group possess any degree of skill and/or judgment. By either continuing to read this blog or participating in a ride each rider agrees to waive and release any claims against fellow riders or the route organizers or the blog author on behalf of themselves and their heirs and assigns. This waiver and release of any claims includes claims based upon the negligence of said fellow riders, route organizers and blog author.


VIEW RIDES CALENDAR AT BOTTOM OF BLOG

Monday, December 27, 2010

A Little Chilly...for Pensacola

An interesting comparison between winter riding in the north and riding through the winter in the south is the duration of the cold in the different locations. There are regions of our country that have only two seasons...winter and 4th of July. I cannot imagine riding through winters in Minnesota or North Dakota. However, I can only speak of my personal experience. I was raised in Virginia which is colder than Pensacola, but not near as cold as northwest Ohio where I spend a dozen years before moving to the Gulf Coast.

The winters in Virginia usually start in mid to late November. It is rare to see a white Thanksgiving, however the temps are such as to make cycling, shall we say, uncomfortable. This discomfort usually lasts until early to mid March before you can finally break out the bibs again. Most hardcore cyclists will ride through the winter with occasional days on the indoor machine. If you make the decision to not ride when the temperatures are below 40s, you will most likely have four to five months off each year.

Ohio, on the other hand, is brutal. I know, I know, some of us think we are animals for riding when the the thermometer drops below 50 and consider ourselves hardcore if we are out on a ride in the low 40s. However, consider our northern brethren, who on a daily basis for months are out on the roads in the 20s and even teens! You talk about pain...when it is that cold, it just hurts to be on the machine. But what choice do they have? Ride the indoor trainer until your brain becomes hamburger or put on just about every piece of winter riding clothes you own and head out for some suffering.

Winters in northwest Ohio start in October. Every year it snowed in October. Maybe not a lot, but enough to keep you off the roads. And it got cold. And talk about wind. So, winters started in October and I don't think I ever broke out the shorts before late April or early May...there may have been an exception, but it was rare. In fact, I remember one year it snowed 3 inches on the 5th of May. Snow for Cinco de Mayo! Therefore, if you're a rider in the beautiful regions of northwest Ohio and you have decided not to ride when it drops into the 40s, you may want to consider another sport. Chances are you will be riding less than 6 months a year.

Pensacola however, is a delight when it comes to winter riding. Sure we have days like today, lows in the 20s and highs in the 40s...and we can get some wind like yesterday. Cold and windy, it happens. As most of you know, we may have a few days in November and maybe a couple of weeks in December and January that are in the 40s. Usually by mid to late February though we're back to highs in the 60s and 70s. But, here's the difference, the duration. Up north, 6 months or more. Here, maybe 2 months. Maybe it's cold today, but wait a day or two and you're back in the saddle again.

So, we may complain about the chilly temps for a few days, (the Wednesday before Christmas we were riding in short sleeves and shorts). Yes, maybe we can't ride everyday this week, but we can ride most days...and we won't be off for months! Maybe a few days or a week or two before the temps are back to a (somewhat) comfortable level. In fact, it looks like 60s for Wednesday high.

Could be a lot worse. Anybody up for a road trip to Ohio for a week of winter riding? Not me...but, I'll be happy to give you some directions.

See you out on the road, (soon),
Bob

7 comments:

  1. I agree, Bob. Our "winter" is not bad at all. I was out on the Blackwater trail this afternoon in shorts. The temp was 47 when I left and 38 when I got back (according to bike computer). With the clear skies I thought it was rather nice out. Feet got a little cool. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah we really do have it nice down here for the most part. I went into work early yesterday and then got out around 3:30 and was able to go out and get a quick 18 mile ride in. Temp was around 48 at start and around 42 or so when I finished just at dark. Lots of sun and little wind. Still glad I sold my trainer - brain was getting near to coarse ground hamburger. They do not make a TV show yet that makes riding a trainer bearable... unless of course you have those Special channels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of watching the tele as you ride the trainer...I had a set up when I lived in Ohio. I would put the trainer in front of the TV with a VCR and would watch Tour de France videos. That was the only possible way to stay on the machine for any length of time. I even had a portable fan on top of the set to blow air on me as I worked out. I would usually ride a stage or two pretending , (kept the mind from turning into Ground Round), I was in the pack...never could catch Lemond, Hampsten or Lance in the mountains. But I sure stomped Cippalini in the sprints though!

    I once rode a trainer none stop for 2 hours and 43 minutes as I was Lance win his first Tour and outside it was snowing 15 inches...ah, those were the days...not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Posted the Around the Bay Ride at:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/61342726
    Crossing the Garcon Pt. Bridge was the hardest 3 miles of cycling I've done. Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Bobinator must be sitting back having a good laugh right about now (actually Friday morning)- As the Bloginator scheduled the infamous "Around the Bay" loop for the Friday ride than conveniently opted out where the Peloton headed to the fill as he motored back home due to family/friends committments. I can see Bob now chowing down on a plate of pasta and having a good laugh as the peloton headed toward the Garcon Point Bridge around 10:30 AM with the wind roaring at around 25mph right into our face. I have commented before that the lsst time we did this loop was the worst 5 miles I have ever ridden on a bike. Well, this Friday's ride was much worse. I was experience leg cramps as we were near the bridge and knew I could not keep up with the peloton and dropped back to ride at my own pace as the group rode off ahead of me. The wind was so brutal and with already having cramps I had to stop 3 or 4 times on the bridge to stretch out and finally made it over just behind the two hand guys (Dave & Josh. They struggled as well with Dave waiting at the top of the bridge for Josh to lead him back in. The wind was so strong, that even going down hill the max speed was around 12 mph if that. So anyway this is my new worst 5 miles on a bike ever!!! When I finally got to the break after the bridge the rest of the guys were there and tanking up after the hard ride over the bridge. MORE TO FOLLOW - LIMITED TO 4096 CHARACTERS

    ReplyDelete
  6. THE REST OF THE STORY

    . I felt somewhat envigorated after slamming down a banana and sandwich and some gatorade as we headed out finally with the wind at our backs for the mad dash down 98 and the Bay Bridge. I did the first pull than Fox who was laying down a fast pace before he had a fatal tire blowout. I had been dropped again with my legs cramping up so I went on as the rest of the Peloton stopped to help the Fox. Later found out his tire sidewall had shredded and he had to call the wife to come get him. This was the 3rd or fourth mechanical of the day with Johnny Bugno flatting early on and Dave May have gear or brake issues and myabe one other. i cruised on down the last couple of miles on 98 before Gulf Breeze barely maintaining 17 or 18 even with the strong tailwind. When I got to Publix I could go no further with the cramps in my calves and also now in my quads. I pulled into the parking lot and drank the rest of my Gatorad and my legs were hurting and burning and having spasms so I called my son to get a ride but there was no answer so I decided to suck it up an try to make it home after resting around 5 minutes. Just as I was getting ready to get going the Peloton passed by . They did not see me and I popped back out onto 98 around 250 yards behind them . I was spent though and could not catch up and just tried to limp home over thge bridge. Thank goodness for the tailwind. i wa s cruising along pretty good but when I got to the hump I could not make it up and stopped and had to just wait for several minutes until the cramps eased and then I had to walk my bike up the hill (how embarassing - maybe all those cars zooming by thought I had a mechanical!!). Finally it was all dowhill and downwind the rest of the way and I made it back into town. Went by Richey's hoping Bugno and Mark had stopped for a beer but not today. I headed up the 14th Avenue hill to my house on Gadsden thankful that this ride from hell was almost over. As I passed La Rua my legs said no more and I once again had to walk my machine up the hill. Up near the top of the hill at Jackson, I saw Mark who had come back looking for me. He was off his bike pushing Dave (Last Years Bad Mayonaise) Mayo up the last part of the hill. Daves bike had been stuck in 9th gear and I guess he just could not quite make it up that last hill. Yo Dave, hope you made it home alright!! So Bobinator, hope you enjoyed that plate of pasta!!! And of course Coolio who would never think about riding on such a nasty day - Hope you enjoyed that box of Krispy Kremes!! Anyway if it did not kill us, I guess we will be stronger next time out!! Mark and I had a couple of beers and then I spent the next couple of hours napping and recovering. Needless to say I did not see the Ball or the Pelican Drop at Midnight this night having gone to bed around 9:30. See you guys back on the road soon - hopefully the weather will be a little more cooperative Sunday afternoon. Oh yeah - Note to Self - Next time the around the bay loop is on the schedule make sure the wind will be at our back on the Gargoyle Point Bridge or stay home in bed and maybe chomp down some Krispy Cremes - I hear you screaming Coolio!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Foxinator called me with a "slightly" different report. However, it sounds like everyone had a great time!
    If you are needing someone to blame, other than yourself, for the Around the Bay ride on such a challenging day, look elsewhere my friend...I had taken it off the schedule until I was begged time and again to put it back on!

    Ah, don't you just love drama?!

    ReplyDelete