Legal Disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer: Cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. The responsibility for each riders safety, fitness and the soundness of his or her bicycle lies solely with each rider. No effort has been made to insure the safety of the roads chosen by any member of the group, nor have the routes been screened for road or other hazards and may not be the safest route available. No effort has been made to ensure that riders in the group possess any degree of skill and/or judgment. By either continuing to read this blog or participating in a ride each rider agrees to waive and release any claims against fellow riders or the route organizers or the blog author on behalf of themselves and their heirs and assigns. This waiver and release of any claims includes claims based upon the negligence of said fellow riders, route organizers and blog author.


VIEW RIDES CALENDAR AT BOTTOM OF BLOG

Monday, October 18, 2010

Weekend Recap and Other Observations

This morning, while out on my sunrise constitutional with the meathead, (meaning; I was walking the dog), I got to thinking about the rides this past weekend. Many emotions flooded my thoughts as I think about those I rode with as well as those we rode in memory of. I cannot imagine all the difficulties the family and friends of Fenner, Matt and Roger have gone through as they lost their loved one. My thoughts and prayers are with them all.

I think these rides are very important. It let's others know that we care. We care for their lost and for the concerns of other cyclists. These concerns are very real to each of us. In fact, on both Saturday and Sunday we had altercations with motorists. Nothing serious, just the same old yelling out the window as they pass by and the ever present sitting on the horn just as they reach your rear wheel. Annoying yes, but scary as well when you think of what has happened in recent weeks. Makes you wonder if these folks read the news...

I sense some anger rising up inside me just as the meathead yanks on my arm and yanks my thoughts back to my morning walk. It is another beautiful day, as was the weekend.

Saturday's century was just about perfect...except maybe 23 too many hills! And 23 was not all of them, just the ones I counted as too many. Man, 102 miles, (including warmup miles), with I think as many hills. Don't get me wrong, I don't really mind hills in general, it's just the going up part that causes this old Clydesdale body to suffer like a dog. And I'm not referring to the meathead here either! The meathead seems to love going uphill as she pulls my shoulder almost out of it's socket. "Why can't you just walk?"

Huge group of cyclists out on the roads of Blackwater. I rode with the main group until the first, uh...hill. Then rode many miles with nothing but my Lynskey to talk to. He wasn't hearing alot of positive monologue. Rather, the typical thoughts of a big boy among the hills. I just kept thinking out loud. "Not another stinking hill." And, "Ah, come on, we just climbed that one, didn't we?" And, of course, " Unbestinkinglievable, couldn't we have just 100 yards of flat?!" Other than that, it was a fantastic ride. I hadn't ridden a full century in at least a decade. Anybody get the elevation gain on that bad boy?

Sunday's Ride of Silence was very touching. I'm sure Vicki and the family must have been moved as well. It was a variable who's who of area cycling. I'm sure there was at least 200 to 300 cyclists as we rode down to Portofino and back at parade pace. For the most part it was just quiet and reflective. I rode alongside of David and Angela Murphy on their tandem with Don Davis just behind us. It was heartening to see so many riders I haven't seen in awhile. Good friends.

We made it back to Quietwater Parking Lot and enjoyed the company of many others. Then we rode back over the bridge and into Gulf Breeze where I had parked. On the way back, a pick up truck full of obnoxious junior highers, (men) came by close sitting on the horn and yelling profanities that will not be repeated here. Besides, I'm sure you have heard it many times before. I don't understand the motive. Is it a thrill to yell at some guy on a bike? Maybe they think it's funny to scare someone that otherwise is having a peaceful ride down the road. I'm a motorist. When I see a cyclist I slow down and move over. Sometimes I may have to wait a few seconds before I can pass safely, so I wait. No big deal, right? Apparently not.

The meathead has stopped to do her business. No, I don't pick it up. I walk her in the woods across the street. I am not going to pick up the meathead's...well, you get the idea. If somebody from another planet looked down wanting to talk to the leader of this civilization and saw humans following animals around picking up their...uh, business, who do you think they would want to talk to?

Enough of canine philosophy. It was in fact a great weekend of riding. The weather this week looks absolutely perfect for riding as well. Please check out the Rides Calendar at the bottom of this blogulation for more details. Don't forget Thursday's Full Moon Ride! This will most likely be the last time this season so come on out and enjoy a beautiful sunset ride to Fort Pickens and a moonlit ride back.

Less than 3 weeks of Daylight Savings Time rides. Yes, it's that time of year again. However, we are going to continue riding one evening per week with lights. Stay tuned for more details.

Other observations:

Randy "No Bull" Bullock pulled off another great century!!! Great job Randy...you are the man!!! An enormous thanks to you and all the volunteers and sponsors!

A huge thanks to Tim "Crusher" Fox and Mark "In the Zone" Calvert for pulling my carcass the last 20 miles! Great ride guys.

By the way, I was at Count Fishbone's house the other day. He was reading a book. I asked him what it was about. Vampires. The Count was reading a Vampire book! Hmmm...I didn't see the Count at the century, must have been up late the night before?!

I heard Keith "Big Motor" Irwin using the word "puncture" instead of "flat" the other day. I realized later that he doesn't say "flat" because that means "apartment" in the King's English. So, when I heard him use the word "quibble" I was curious as to the meaning. He asked me if I have read Harry Potter and I replied that I don't read that dribble. We began to argue as to the literary value of the Harry Potter books. I figured out what "quibble" means as we quibbled over dribble...and that's no fib(ble).

I was watching college football the other day and noticed that our own Dana "The Animal" Foster looks exactly like the head football coach at Iowa. I think I figured out why Dana hasn't been on our Saturday rides lately.

Our own Coolio has denied allegations of Krispy Kreme comsumption for years. However, over the weekend he was caught red-handed with a dozen of the delights in his vehicle. They were the infamous Pumpkin Spice variety. He claims that he brought them to share with others. Upon further investigation I have not found anybody who says Coolio shared a donut with them. Instead, Coolio was found in his vehicle in a park slumped over an empty box of Krispy Kremes. An apparent overdose of Pumpkin Spice.

It has been discovered that Left Lane has a school for civil disobedience. I saw many of his students on Saturday's century ride. I would love to see that curriculum. I wonder how much he charges them?

See you out on the road,
Bob

Rats...the meathead needs to go out again! Alright, alright...she's not a meathead, but I have met a few out on the road who just love to chase cyclists. The uh, lovely Mrs Graves wanted you to know that I actually like our dog. It's true, I do, except for her name. She named her Pumpkin Spice! No, I'm not kidding, that's our dog's name; Pumpkin Spice...go figure.

4 comments:

  1. Hello from Columbus Ohio,

    I hope all of you kept the rubber on the road over the weekend. Many thanks to the group for letting me ride with you on my visit to Pensacola last week. I was able to get in about 400 miles for the week. Unfortunately my wife had other plans so I could not attend the ride in Milton.

    All the best,

    Rick Jeffrey, Teamroll

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hated to miss the rides. I was in AZ at a software developers conference. I missed last year too for the same reason. The organizers of the conference might pick different dates next year; I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rick,
    Great to hear from you! It was our pleasure to have you put in a few miles with us. Come on down anytime...especially winter! I know you are heading into your cold season, but it's just getting real nice down here. Let us know when your next visit will be and maybe we can find you and your wife a condo on the beach.

    Again, great riding with you,
    Bob, for all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prentiss,
    Sorry you missed the century. The weather this year was absolutely fabulous! Several of us did the 100 miler and David Mayo and a number of the guys did the metric.

    Sunday's ride was real touching. It was one of those things I was really glad I had done. I am so sorry you had to miss it. Hopefully, we won't have another one...if you get my drift?!

    See you at the Full Moon Ride?
    Bob

    ReplyDelete