Legal Disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer: Cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. The responsibility for each riders safety, fitness and the soundness of his or her bicycle lies solely with each rider. No effort has been made to insure the safety of the roads chosen by any member of the group, nor have the routes been screened for road or other hazards and may not be the safest route available. No effort has been made to ensure that riders in the group possess any degree of skill and/or judgment. By either continuing to read this blog or participating in a ride each rider agrees to waive and release any claims against fellow riders or the route organizers or the blog author on behalf of themselves and their heirs and assigns. This waiver and release of any claims includes claims based upon the negligence of said fellow riders, route organizers and blog author.


VIEW RIDES CALENDAR AT BOTTOM OF BLOG

Friday, July 23, 2010

Saturday May Have Been A Sufferfest, But This Week Was A Hammerfest!

All week long we have seen speeds above norm for our group rides. (Who's Norm? I thought he rode with the Blackwater group?) I guess everyone is inspired by watching the Tour. (Go Andy!) The evening rides have been hammerfests! The pace has been high with some cat and mouse as well as some really good sprints. I think just about everyone has been enjoying the rides, with the exception of those getting dropped. Wednesday's are no problem...it's advertised as a hammerfest. People expect they may get dropped and they are close to home if they do. Saturday's are a different story. Longer rides, unfamiliar roads, etc. We need to try to stay together to insure everyone gets home safely.

Please keep in mind that these rides are group rides...meaning we ride as a group. And, the rides are rides, not races. Except for sign sprints, city limit sprints and/or unannounced sprints, please keep the pace as advertised. This is real important, especially for those who may be riding with us for the first time. ( Or even for our seasoned campaigners, who may just be having an off day.) I have really appreciated most of you observing this little guideline. Makes for great group riding and it is the one thing that almost everybody says they love about riding with our group. However, if you happen to be feeling strong, don't increase your speed, just increase the length of your pull...thereby helping the group as a whole. Weaker? Do a shorter pull or just sit in the draft and enjoy the ride.

Okay, enough of that. This weekend has two great rides scheduled! Saturday morning we are headed west for the Hurst Hammock Loop. Remember, it's easier to get into the hammock than to get out of it. Then, on Sunday evening we're doing the group favorite Full Moon Ride! An absolute joy if the weather cooperates. Looks like that storm may pass Saturday evening through Sunday morning...so we may be in luck!

Also, mark your calendars for our next SSORES ride. A new loop and a fantastic route! You're going to love this one. One week from Saturday at the Gulf Breeze Wal Mart.

Check the Ride Calendar at the bottom of this blog for information regarding both rides. Just click on the ride for details. I'm looking forward to a great weekend of riding!

See you out on the road,
Bob

1 comment:

  1. As a rule I try to stay with the group. Often times I will try to hang back for riders that have been dropped. Some times it is just frustrating when being dropped or waiting for dropped riders when the ability level among the riders is so varied.

    When I first started riding with the group I got dropped continuously. I took time off from the group riding solo so that I could get stronger; I did not want to be a liability to the group. When I got stronger I came back. I still get dropped, but not as often and most times towards the finish of the ride.

    There are many in the group that have specific training objects, myself included. When the group is large and varied these different personal objects can clash with trying to keep the group together. I think for the most part this has been managed very well by the riders in the group. We tend to stay together for at least the first half of the ride and then towards the end, those who feel good go off the front. I personally don't have a problem with that.

    A week ago at the beach I went off the front. I felt good and it was towards the end of the ride. But, more importantly I wanted to get home and out of the sun. I have a lot of skin damage from the sun and I try to be out of the sun by 11am. I made it home by 11:30am. I hope that I did not appear to be too selfish and self-centered in my actions. At some point a rider needs to do what is best for himself.

    I'm looking forward to the moonlight ride. See you there.

    ReplyDelete