Legal Disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer: Cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. The responsibility for each riders safety, fitness and the soundness of his or her bicycle lies solely with each rider. No effort has been made to insure the safety of the roads chosen by any member of the group, nor have the routes been screened for road or other hazards and may not be the safest route available. No effort has been made to ensure that riders in the group possess any degree of skill and/or judgment. By either continuing to read this blog or participating in a ride each rider agrees to waive and release any claims against fellow riders or the route organizers or the blog author on behalf of themselves and their heirs and assigns. This waiver and release of any claims includes claims based upon the negligence of said fellow riders, route organizers and blog author.


VIEW RIDES CALENDAR AT BOTTOM OF BLOG

Friday, January 25, 2013

Every Ride Has It's Own Joys

So there I was, standing on the side of Davis Highway with traffic whizzing by. I had just had my third flat in three days! This flat was one of those loud "gunshot" type punctures. In fact, it made me kind of jump as I instinctively thought I was being shot at...dude, it's not funny! It's an awful feeling of vulnerability. I mean, where do you hide when you're on a bicycle wearing nothing but lycra?!

I dismount (equestrian term) my trusty steed to discover the tube had blown completely out of the tire and had wrapped itself around the frame several times. The rear wheel actually couldn't move more than an inch or so. Ah, so that's the reason the rear was fish tailing until I could bring the machine to a complete stop...I was sliding along Davis Highway on the bare metal rim! (Man, was I glad I wasn't riding carbon rims!)

It took a full five minutes and the encouragement of the gathering crowd round about me before finally freeing the imprisoned bike from the elastic bonds of the blown tube. I then quickly popped the tire off the rim and pulled the tube out and held it high for the fans to see. The sight was met with more than just a polite cheer!

I changed that tube in record time (as everyone wanted to help) and used one of my two CO2 cartridges to fill the limp rubber. I kept assuring them that I was used to changing tires and it would only take a minute..."and by the way, can I have that back now?!" With the tire back on the rim and the wheel back on the bike, I started to fill with air...

However, to my dismay, as soon as I had twisted (screw on type) the cylinder upon the valve it started releasing air too fast for me to get it on the stem to fill my tire. But, being the savvy rider that I am, I quickly picked up all my parts, debris and what was left of my pride and headed down the road on what had to be about 25psi. Once out of sight of my newly found "fanclub", I pulled over, used the second cartridge of CO2 from out of my saddle bag and made for home before one of the fans happened upon me and my true intent discovered.

The whole ride took about an hour and a half for a whopping 17 miles. It was exhausting nonetheless...

So, everyone ready for a romp on the Lillian Loop Express tomorrow?!

Here's the details:

Where:  Fish and Wildlife

What:  Lillian Loop

Distance:  Long Route 55 miles; Short Route 43 miles

Pace:  Moderate until the two groups separate then each group will determine it's own pace.

Who:  Who dat? You dat!

Weather forecast looks real good with temps in the 60s with plenty of sunshine! We even have scheduled a Tailwind Express for the trip home! Hey, don't forget Mayo's Sunday Afternoon Madness Ride!

See you out on the road,
Bob

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed picking you guys up for a few miles this evening (1/27, Jones Creek/Navy Point). Hope to see y'all again!

    ReplyDelete