Legal Disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer: Cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. The responsibility for each riders safety, fitness and the soundness of his or her bicycle lies solely with each rider. No effort has been made to insure the safety of the roads chosen by any member of the group, nor have the routes been screened for road or other hazards and may not be the safest route available. No effort has been made to ensure that riders in the group possess any degree of skill and/or judgment. By either continuing to read this blog or participating in a ride each rider agrees to waive and release any claims against fellow riders or the route organizers or the blog author on behalf of themselves and their heirs and assigns. This waiver and release of any claims includes claims based upon the negligence of said fellow riders, route organizers and blog author.


VIEW RIDES CALENDAR AT BOTTOM OF BLOG

Sunday, June 10, 2012

I Wonder If It Will Rain Today?

Wow! It sure has been pouring water out of the heavens like I haven't seen in many, many years! I heard a rumor that someone spotted animals lining up two by two...on Spanish Trail! I guess that have an inside word on the water getting that high...

Seriously, this sure does make it difficult on those of us who enjoy riding. Although, I'm sure many of us have ridden in the downpours before. I sure have. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's not awful either at these temperatures. I remember getting caught out on a ride one day in Ohio in October when it started raining. As the temperature dropped, it turned from rain to sleet to kind of a mixture of rain, sleet, frozen rain and finally an all out snowstorm. Being soaked to the bone, I was in a real desperate situation almost 10 miles from home. That was a rainstorm you wouldn't want to caught in!

However, here, in the deep south in June, we have no worries like that. It's basically an inconvenience. Although, there are some of us that can't stand the machine getting rained upon or even riding on damp roads. In fact, I'm sure that one beloved rider would rather stand naked in the rain on Bayou Blvd. then to allow his bike to get a drop on it. (We won't name names!) So, whether you hate or love the rain or perhaps you are some where in between, it is a major factor for riders in this part of the country.

I'm sure those from the southwest for example, would have a hard time understanding why the big deal over a little rain. It's because they don't really have any rain. In fact, I happened to be in Phoenix, Arizona when they had their once a year rain event. It was really a remarkable thing to observe. People all over the area were talking about how it was supposed to rain. Then, when it actually started to rain, (what they called rain...it was actually just a sprinkle), folks were coming out of their houses and places of business into the streets with their faces toward the sky. They loved the rain! It was such a welcome change from their continual sunshine! I can attest, their is almost non-stop sunshine in the Valley of the Sun!

On a recent trip to the sunny, hot and dry region, I took off on an afternoon ride. I like riding up the mountain roads alone. There is something just so therapeutic about a ride alone with nothing but you, the Lord and the machine. I decided on a particular road that sloped upward and proceeded with the task at hand. As you know, the road up for a big Clydesdale is a bit slower than some of our smaller, more genteel brethren. However, knowing that the pace didn't matter, I just enjoyed the scenery, sunshine and exercise. It was a great day for a ride up a mountain!

An hour or so into the ride, I noticed that I was starting to run low on the water supply. I began to look about and for the first time discovered that this was actually desert...with absolutely no trees, no shade, no water of any kind any where. This had come as a real revelation to me as I continued on up my mountain road. Being from an area that knows no limit to water, this was a bit of a shock. As I arrived at the top, I stopped to take in my surroundings...barren, hot and dry. What an incredible difference to what I was accustomed to riding in. I gobbled down the rest of my Clif bar and popped a gel shot then reached down for some water to wash it down with. To my amazement and concern, I had less than half a bottle left and the water in it tasted as hot as my morning tea!

For the first time in many years, I knew I could be in trouble if I didn't hydrate and do so quickly. Granted, almost the entire way back to civilization was downhill, but there were a few uphill sections that would require some moderate effort. About 3/4 of the way to the bottom was a little town. I had noticed on my way up a small strip center with stores. As I made my way ever downward I finally came to the stores and found a Subway shop open. (The Big Hoagie would be proud!) I dismounted in the shade of the front awning and took the bottles inside. After filling up with ice and water, I rested in the shade pondering my situation. I glanced over at a bank that had a time and temperature sign flashing out the warning; 104 degrees!

I tanked up and started heading for the house a little wiser. I always have loved riding in the bright sunshine. Rain was always the enemy. However, what a welcome respite a shower would have been that hot afternoon in the desert. It's so easy to complain about our situation, isn't it? Too much sunshine, too much rain, not enough of one or the other...

See you out on the road, (when it stops raining),
Bob


No comments:

Post a Comment